Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Guerrillas in the Midst of a Review: Ghost in the Shell


I have very positive vibes for the Ghost in the Shell adaptation. I have felt better about it with each new video they release.

I have come to terms that no adaptation (book, comic, cartoon, anime, video game, etc) will NEVER stay 100% true to its source, big Hollywood doesn't work that way. I more enjoy and look for a devotion to having the same "feel" and look and emotion with solid casting (which I've imagined that Scarlett would be the #1 choice for Motoko for years and honestly, I am ok with that. She's very capable in action roles and has a body type that works) and also the casting of Takeshi Kitano as the Chief is fucking spot on. Perfect casting in equivalence of Patrick Stewart as Prof X.

Ghost in the Shell is a great anime to bring into Hollywood. The series (Stand Alone Complex) works on a level as a procedural police drama, regardless of cyborgs, underlying messages and the standard anime tropes, it is simply a well done cop show a la Law and Order, CSI or NYPD Blue.

Back to casting, I was hoping for Ron Perlman to land the role of Batou, which sadly he did not. I'm willing to give Pilou Asbæk a chance but I don't get the initial father like relationship feel from him partnered with Johansson, he seems a little a green and the older and much more seasoned Perlman I feel would have nailed it, but I can take that in stride.

As long it doesn't have a completely trash screenplay, I feel like this is gonna be a solid movie that can and hopefully will set the tone for more film studios to have faith in anime adaptations.


But that's just my 2 cents.


No comments:

Post a Comment